Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday of the First Week of Lent

Psalm 51Genesis 40:1-231 Corinthians 3:16-23Mark 2:13-22
Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person. . . . you belong to Christ, and Christ belongs to God.
1 Corinthians 3:16-23
This passage’s use of the word you means the community, but I prefer to give it more of a personal meaning for myself as a part of the community.

There are many times when I am disappointed with myself; why didn’t I express sincere congratulations to a neighbor when her child was elected president of my child’s class? Why did I leave from a meeting early to avoid having to discuss the controversial topic with a particular acquaintance? Why do I sometimes lose patience with my precious spouse or loving, energetic children? Why did I repeat another person’s personal information to others? Why am I afraid to disagree publicly with a generally recognized Leader? Why do I have trouble praying for my enemies?

When I re-read this passage my self esteem is restored. As a part of God’s temple holding his Spirit I know that I can improve. My face-to-face conversation and my body-language begin to look as if I were speaking with another temple-dweller. I wonder if I am aware of the gift I am receiving from the other.

There are many times when I realize that my personal gear-shift is sitting in neutral. Being in neutral provides quiet time for prayer, reflection, and rest, but it also reminds me that as part of God’ temple I have the responsibility to act, to share my gift of love and caring with others. There is sure to be help I could give at the food bank, story-telling I could share at Trinity Pre-school, tutoring I could learn to offer in the public schools, and cooking I could do at the Salvation Army.

St. Paul’s Church is our Christian community; we are the temple that contains the Spirit of God. Here we share God’s blessing and together go out to demonstrate our caring for others. May God grant us the wisdom, patience, and courage to follow through.

— Betz Gleason

No comments:

Post a Comment